Sunday, August 2, 2015

Of purple fingers, unequal pupils and sore bottoms

You might wonder what rotation could offer me such great opportunities to review these mighty presentations. And some of them were even "urgent"! Of course, purple fingers turned out to be Raynaud's phenomenon and not ischemic fingers; unequal pupils was just due to an old eye injury, and sore bottoms were usually due to prolonged sitting/lying (common in catatonic/schizophrenic patients who assume a statue-like posture, not moving for hours at a time!)  

I am currently in week 3 of psychiatry relief and I am kinda enjoying myself. I had always loved mental health and truly enough there was never a dull moment in the ward! Head-banging, dismantling doors, shouting and wailing were common occurrences. However as the psych RMO, my job seems to be nowhere mental health related. Rather, I was much like the over-exploited pseudo med reg/ward slave/walking encyclopaedia/dental consultant/receptionist/IT support/patient's boredom reliever. Sometimes I wonder, where is the psychiatry?

Anyway, I am not gonna complain because compared to ward cover or surgical rotations, the workload in psych was a breeze. It could easily be as few as 5 jobs per day, including writing up investigation forms. No discharge summaries too, what a treat! I could hang out with my friends in the med/surg ward or sneak out for an hour-long lunch break. Other times, I could work on my languages. Yes I'm proud to announce that I am finally back to working on my Spanish again, after a year-long hiatus! And I am starting to pick up some French too (since the Boy learnt it in high school, maybe it could be our secret language. Heh).  

Also, Stephen (my partner in crime) and I had currently became part-time detectives, whereby our newest case is to investigate the ownership of a certain black Porsche 911 Carrera in our hospital staff parking lot. Whoever it is, what a lucky bastard!

Hmm...or maybe not. =P 

2 comments:

  1. I had always thought that doctors were boring people. This blog of yours made me think twice. It's good to know that some doctors do have a sense of humour. Truly made my day, going through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do always think I am a boring person too! haha. But glad you enjoyed my blog! =)

    ReplyDelete