Tuesday, December 20, 2016

My Lego-Themed Wedding


The past few months had been such a rush, I couldn't believe it is already December now. So much had happened since I last blogged, but I guess the only big thing is that I am now officially married! =) Not that it felt much different for us both, but then again, it does. Whilst I am not a big fan of weddings, I am a believer of marriage. A promise to stay with one another through thick and thin, to love and to grow old together. =)

But since everyone loves weddings, I would just share some snippets of my simple little wedding here, for those who are as nerdy as us, or for those who just wanted something simple and sweet. I must say I am proud of my effort at planning this wedding, considering I only started planning about 2 months away. Single-handedly, whilst juggling a full-time job (80-110 hours a fortnight) + moving houses + getting my drivers' license. Looking back now, I am still amazed at how I could manage to accomplish all of that! All by God's grace, I must say.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but both the Boy and I are Lego fans, and I am working on a pretty decent collection at the moment. An expensive hobby, I must say, considering they are just little plastic toys. There was an article I once read about Lego investment giving higher returns than gold. Hmm... Anyway I've digressed. 

So my point was, we had a Lego-themed wedding! Lego and the oh-so-popular Rustic theme, to be exact. I did have some of the standard decor like bird cages, candle-lanterns, vases, petals scatters etc, but with a touch of Lego. Just to avoid looking like a 5-year-old's birthday party, that is. I am not overly-fussed with weddings, but I must say the planning did get me pretty excited and I loved how things came together on the day!

We had both our ceremony and reception at the same place - The Hadley's Hotel in Hobart cbd. A short and sweet ceremony, complete with vows, celebrant and signing of papers. Three-course sit-down reception afterwards. 40 guests in total (all who graciously turned up with lots of gifts and love, despite our last-minute invites). We also had most of the standard wedding stuff - guestbook, wedding favors, wedding cake, pre-wedding photos in a leather-binded album (if you are wondering, it's a BIG asian thing haha), bridal gown etc. But we've done away with the bridal party, the wedding march, the awkward first dance, the diabetes-inducing lolly buffet (though we had nicely-packed Lego candies as a second wedding favour for everyone), and the embarrassing drunken-blabbers a.k.a wedding toasts. Instead, I prepared a guest pamphlet detailing the sequence of events of the night and some quirky Q&As, and a Lego-Building Station that was definitely the highlight for most guests. And I would gladly say that we enjoyed every part of our night (without any of those freak-out-moments or Bridezilla-stress-explosions), and the same goes with our guests! 

And the best thing is, we barely spent much at all on the wedding, despite having a classy function room with a crystal chandelier, hotel-grade three-course meals, top-notch service, and an open tab! Thank God for friends that doesn't binge-drink. =P



Our Lego Building Station. We prepared various pots containing male and female hair/headpieces, heads, torso, legs and accessories. All guests are given a white podium with our names printed on a white tile. They are to take the podium to the station and build their very own version of Christine and Michael to take home as keepsakes/wedding favour! 

 
An example of a completed Lego wedding favour =)

A close-up of our rustic birdcages decor with pre-built Lego Creator sets in them
Our guestbook signing table
We used this cute little picture book as our guestbook

This was our geeky Wedding Prescription Pads, where guests could write down their "prescription for a happy marriage" and drop them off in our little first-aid box. These "script pads" were custom-made by yours truly! *patent pending


Our dinner menu for the night and another one of my custom-made event pamphlet (made during my row of night-shifts haha)!






Lego centre-pieces! We only had 40 guests which came to a total of 4 tables. Instead of using table numbers, we assigned a different colour to each table (correlating to the colour of the Lego pieces).
    
Our custom-made three-tier Lego cake! Made by this wonderful lady we found online who even delivered it to our venue. Yummy cake, reasonably priced too. I would definitely use her services again for my future cake-requirements! (sorry I only got to take a photo of the cake after it had been cut, hence the dark line across the back)

Feel free to steal the idea for your very own big day, and share your photos with us too while you're at it! =) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment